Monday 18 November 2013

Joint hypermobility in children- noticing hypermobile joints

The first time I ever drew attention to my joints was at a barbecue when I was nine. I was leaning on one arm laying on the grass, when a family friend who was medically trained asked if I had problems with the way that my arms bend. I had never noticed or been asked before, but from then on I began to realise that my joints did things other people couldn’t do. My hands can turn all the way around when on a flat surface, and my arms look almost backwards when I straighten them, as shown below. My right arm and shoulder was the first joint to become painful and remains the most problematic. It is very loose and causes aches and clicks and general pain most days. I struggle to carry things and have trouble sitting at my desk at work to type. When I went to physio they asked me to think back to being a child, to work out how long the pains had really been happening. I did recall having pains in my shoulders a lot when I first went to high school. These were dismissed as growing pains and I never made a connection to my joints, as I had no idea hypermobility was a thing. 


My hips are becoming more problematic lately. My legs are very flexible and I can place my feet on the back of my neck with ease. My thumbs are also hypermobile, bending right back around onto the back of my hand, as shown:


Despite these examples of bendy joints and being very obviously flexible, my hypermobility was never picked up on. I took part in PE lessons, went to school and played like normal, enjoyed being active and was never held back by joint pain. The only sign of what was to come was the way my joints could bend and move. Not all hypermobile children will go on to suffer with the symptoms of the syndrome. It is possible to live with no pain or problems when you are hypermobile, but keeping active and fit is still important. I think had I known when I was younger, I could have looked into physio and taken fitness more seriously, as it is so important to strengthen muscles around loose and hypermobile joints. Watching the way children sit and stand can indicate how flexible they are, particularly as they grow older. This link from the American college of rheumatology is another good source of help for paediatric hypermobility. The links for finding doctors are for the USA, but the other information applies to everyone.

Children who have hypermobile joints and are able to exercise and be active without issues should be encouraged to do so. I did a lot of physical activity as a child in way of swimming and ballet and didn't experience pains. However as I got older, I became less interested in exercise, especially at university, when exercise was replaced by pub crawls and lots of mid-week dancing! I am now very aware that my muscles need to strengthen to help support my joints and wish I had kept up swimming or tried harder to get fit when I was younger. My parents were as clueless about hypermobility as me, but if you have an inkling this applies to your child, get it checked. Keeping fit will help no end, as long as they are able and (sort of) willing.



No comments:

Post a Comment