Monday 15 December 2014

The hypermobile Christmas wish list


The number one Christmas gift would obviously be new joints and more collagen, but I don't think Santa has that in his sleigh. If I was writing a Christmas list on behalf of my body, it would go a little something like this:

1)  Beurer cosy heat pad- When I saw this online a few weeks ago I instantly knew I wanted it. It looks big and quite odd, but I don't care. The cold makes everything worse for hypermobility. My lower back and shoulders have been aching non-stop for about a month now. This is apparently better than a hot water bottle, which is my go-to for joint pain in winter, so I would be hugely intrigued to see if it makes a difference. Let's face it, this contraption looks like the dream for hypermobile sufferers and is a world away from my general Christmas list of make up and the whole of Top Shop, but needs must.

2) Harley original supportive neck pillow- I had a lot of discussion with my last physio therapist about neck pillows. Most of my pain is my shoulders and neck, which I know is common among the bendy community. They are apparently, if you get the right one, a real treat. Also I reckon a good one would help with the waking up in the night stuck in one position because I have gone completely stiff. I've seen this recommended on a couple of blogs so when I get one, I think it this will be pillow of choice. They also come in loads of sizes, even travel. Everyone loves choice. 


3) Deep Heat products- Basically, all of the products, particularly a large stash of heat patches, would be be ideal. Deep Heat has long been a good friend to my back and shoulders. I have to keep an emergency heat patch collection in my desk at work. They stay hot for about 8 hours and sometimes in the winter it's just nice to wear one to be warm, or stuff in your pocket to defrost your fingers.


4) Reiki- This is a bit out there, and may be a massive gamble, but I really want to try Reiki. In a nut shell, its a Japanese technique for stress reduction that promotes healing. My friend, who is a holistic therapist and hypermobile, recently went and had it done as part of a training course. Her account was that she left feeling straighter than she had in years. I've tried all manner of massage, and some have helped. I know you are often warned to steer clear of this type of thing with hypermobility, but I am too curious. I am going to take the plunge in 2015, so a review will be imminent. I've been recommended a place and a guy, so it's happening (hopefully) here: http://benbarnett.co.uk/classes/m-and-b-approach/ 


5) The Sleep Book- How to sleep well every night- My sleep varies from being completely fine to completely dreadful. It's been pretty poor lately, mostly because I can't get comfortable. Sometimes it isn't down to pain though, and I've seen this book mentioned on Twitter by some sleepy heads.




No comments:

Post a Comment