Monday 14 July 2014

Core Stability For Hypermobility

My first ever Core Stability class terrified and debilitated me. It was not ideal. I turned up really excited wearing lots of lycra, with my weird joints in tow and left feeling like I may just sleep in the park outside because it wasn't raining and the ten minute walk home was too much. However, this is just because I did a few things wrong. Number one: I didn't seek proper advice from the instructor despite him asking me if there was anything he should know about and if I needed help (“no I’m fine, I’m actually an Olympian.”) I told him about the hypermobility but should have actually asked specifically which weights I should go for and so on. Number 2: I picked up the lightest weight and put it down. Massive error. I needed to use that tiny weight. My weak arms and shoulders were not prepared for a real, hard work out and they most certainly let me know it.

I've been told so many times by physios and my GP and a rheumatologist that it’s important to have good core strength when you’re hypermobile. It’s basically the scripted sentence they all throw at you when you ask what you can do to help. For ages I did simple physio exercises at home but they didn't help much and my dog chewed through my thera-band. I don’t miss it. It was offensively yellow and smelt like sick and never did much to help my shoulders.

Thera-band fan


My housemate (also hypermobile) joined a gym and went to core stability and convinced me it was a good idea. So along I went. As I said, I went in too hard, too ill-informed and couldn't move the next day. Actually, the next five days. I couldn't bend, lower myself into chairs, get on and off the tube or get dressed without extensively groaning and feeling like the end was near. It was AWFUL. I had to pep-talk myself to walk down the stairs in my house and at the tube station and only left my desk at work for the fire alarm and other emergencies like starvation.

The silly mistakes I made however, were rectified by dusting off and starting again. Lightest weights, lots of warming up, and knowing when to just take a break even if no one else. Three classes later and it’s brilliant. My shoulders ache less, I can carry more, my back feels better and I can do a plank without shaking and falling over immediately. If you are able and want to do something improve your strength and joints, go for this. Start slow, very slow, and work your way to heavier weights slowly. Start with no weights if necessary. It doesn’t matter how long it takes to get used to it, it really helps.

The class I go to starts with stretching and then involves lots of squatting and bending and planking, so it is necessary to stop every now and then to rest and not upset your joints too much. Don’t worry about the people who don’t break a sweat or look like they could do it with the rest of the class sitting on their back. They are most probably not of this planet or incredibly fit gym enthusiasts who don’t have the same problems as you.
It is important to work on your core. It is. It’s also a good way to tone up and you can definitely feel the difference after a few sessions. I still ache the next day every time but it’s now a good ache. The sort of ache where you think ‘I ache so I can eat what I want because I go to the gym and I am amazing.’

If you do take this up, make sure the instructor is a good one and knows about hypermobility and asks you about your fitness before you start. if you are looking for a gym, see if there is a Better branch near you. it's a bargain for a membership with classes and they do lots of good activities at all levels. http://www.better.org.uk/ Also take it very slow if you are new to this sort of exercise. Not being able to put your own socks on for the best part of week is not winning at life. 

pinterest.com

No comments:

Post a Comment