Wednesday 25 February 2015

The power of the online community in healthcare





So everyone knows and has been told a hundred times over to never Google your symptoms. Don't go online and try and work out what's wrong with you, it'll probably be wrong and misled. But what about when you can't get the support you need from doctors or clinics? This is the issue that faces thousands, probably realistically millions, of people worldwide with chronic and rare diseases and conditions. 

The internet, particularly social media, is now an integral part of most people's daily lives. We share and post all sorts, from our breakfast to our emotions. Those people who have symptoms that don't add up, or know they suffer from conditions that aren't adequately cared for by medical professionals are making waves online. I first found this when I was diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome. I didn't get a great deal of support or much useful advice and was soon discharged from all clinics, despite the issue not being under control. My symptoms then got worse and more started slowly appearing and I realised I most likely had another condition, which doctors agreed with but again, not enough support. 

My story is not unusual, and I ended up turning to online forums, Facebook groups and Twitter feeds for answers. I found charities online that had growing followings on social media and plenty of people willing to share experiences. I've learnt so much from these groups and websites and found ways to handle my condition that have helped. That was also how this blog was born. I wanted to put my journalism and communications degree to good use for something that mattered to me. Since then I have built up my own online community. This blog now has a Twitter feed: @ChronicHealth1, I have lots of followers who share my condition online and I use Facebook groups and forums to read about research studies and learn about the ways other people handle flare ups. 

Of course, the internet can be a dangerous place for an unwell person to frequent. Things spiral quickly and patients end up fearing the worse. I've done it myself plenty of times and always regretted it. If you are using online resources to handle a condition or find out what might be wrong, start by looking up reputable charities or societies and see if they are on social media. Also consult your GP if you strongly suspect something, don't just decide that you definitely have it and start trying to come up with treatments. It's really not worth it. However these online communities for diagnosed conditions are so helpful and valuable and many people rely on them as a source of emotional support. I see so many comforting stories and useful links posted on my Twitter feed everyday that I share and sometimes apply to me. 

There's a reason online community management is growing as a job in healthcare. These resources are important and powerful and when used properly, monitored and maintained they can be of great use. 

Anyone reading this with hypermobility, EDS, fibro or other related conditons, check out @ehlersdanlosuk and @HMSAcharity on Twitter, or look into the hastag #spoonie. Type your condition into the Facebook search bar and you will most likely find a group to join. 

Support can come in all shapes and sizes and in 2015, that can include your laptop or smartphone. Just try and be sensible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment